Like everyone, we have been talking a lot about the Coronavirus threat, especially now that it’s been declared a global pandemic. What is most important is not to panic. The risk in Etobicoke is currently low. But that does not mean that there are not a lot of things that a church community can and should do.
The Church Council recommends the following preventative actions to can help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses:
· Get a yearly flu vaccination, available from clinics and pharmacies as this is the best way to prevent influenza infection
· Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
· Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
· Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
· Stay home when you are sick.
· Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
· Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
· Please refrain from shaking hands and sharing hugs, these can be substituted with elbow taps and waves.
· Most importantly, if you have fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical care early and share your recent travel history with your health care provider.
We have made the decision to modify how we serve coffee after our morning services and for our other gatherings. We will move to the use of disposables, also with a “Bring-your-own-mug” policy. Other procedures are also under review. We have no plans to cancel our worship services, even as we continue to monitor the local situation with this virus.
Remember that some our members cannot come to worship and other gatherings right now, and some are shut in with visitation restrictions. They need our calls and cards and special consideration.
Finally, let us not forget to PRAY for our Health and Frontline Workers - May God give them peace as they face their daily tasks. Their work is important. Their work is lifesaving!